I have been asked this question all day…IT being the 1st ever barre n9ne™ virtual class! Well let me tell you, it was AWESOME! I seriously want to do this every day! This virtual class hit a spot for me, I’ll explain why…
In college I used to work out every morning with my step mom Maria at our local gym…she is a long time early morning gym enthusiast and she is in AMAZING SHAPE! I literally went every morning with her. It was actually fun once I rolled myself out of bed….I am SO not a morning person. BUT I knew I would be letting her down if I didn’t go. I will admit some mornings I bailed being a typical college student who stayed out late and definitely didn’t want to wake up early, but I would say 95% of the time I went.
After I graduated and got a grown up job our morning gym dates fizzled out. I was teaching more at the dance studio and working out more at night than in the morning. I can say that other than in very rare circumstances I have not worked out in the morning since 2004. Crazy right?!
My clients at barre n9ne™ have been asking me for morning classes for a long time and I couldn’t accommodate, whether it be for lack of interest (one or two people) or lack of instructors (great ones!) who want to teach a 6am class.
Being honest, when my alarm went off at 5:55am this morning I had to drag myself out of bed, especially since Jalen (my almost 5 month old son) decided to wake up at 4:55am HUNGRY…..so I had just gotten back to sleep right before my alarm went off. I brushed my teeth, put my workout clothes on, connected with everyone on Skype and off we went! 5 minutes into it I felt amazing. The best part is this feeling has lasted all day!
You know,’they’ say working out in the morning is one of the best things for you. A few benefits I have read are:
- By completing your workout in the morning you are guaranteeing that you will actually do it. After a long day at work it is easier to make excuses or other plans in order to skip a workout.
- In the morning your body and mind are fresh and ready to rock ‘n’roll. Exercise increases mental acuity.
- Training in the morning helps force you to start watching what you eat from the first meal of the day. It will help regulate your appetite and set a “healthy mindset.”
- Training in the morning will help “jump-start” your metabolism and keep it elevated for up to 24 hours, thus burning more calories throughout the day.
- A good morning workout provides that rush of adrenaline and that sense of accomplishment that will stick with you throughout the day.
That last two bullet points are the most important ones in my opinion. Who doesn’t want to start off their day with a rush of adrenaline, feeling super accomplished, and jumpstarting their metobolism? I DO!
Needles to say I am hooked! After reevaluating my existing crazy schedule I am going to commit to one early morning vitual class a week. I would love to do two though, however I believe in setting reasonable and attainable goals for yourself. When you set an unattainable goal you feel discouraged and disappointed in yourself, what a crappy feeling! Therefore, until Jalen gets on a more regular sleeping schedule and I can do two a week, Wednesday virtual classes are my new thing!
Who wants to join me? 🙂